Sunday, January 13, 2008

January 2008 - Introducing Park Place Blog


In an effort to connect with friends, family, and other, Travis and I have decided to create a blog spot.

For those of you who don't know, Travis and I made the move to New Castle, NH in August. Travis is teaching 6th grade at the Portsmouth Middle School, coaching 7th/8th grade boys basketball, chaperoning ski club, and encouraging members of the homework club to be diligent. Meanwhile, I am attending the MFA non-fiction writing program at the University of New Hampshire.

Life in New England has been a transition. As you know, I grew up in Vermont, but New Hampshire is not Vermont. For instance, we are in the thick of primary elections. Everywhere we turn there is Hillary, Barack, Mitt, or their loyal campaigning team. It has been extremely exciting, and Travis and I are becoming highly political. Also, being next to the coast, Boston, and Maine has been new and exciting.

I would be remiss if I did not mention Bay, our Redbone Coonhound 9 month old pup. We are kinda crazy about her (it is a little scary at times).So, life is surreal. Our only complaint is that we miss our friends on the western side of the country. Otherwise, we are enjoying our new adventure.


Here is a little tour of our new surroundings:



This is our little home in New Castle, NH. We rent it from our next door neighbor, Bill. Bill resembles a yellow-slickered sea-leg captain. He has a white beard and a twinkle in his eye. from the bay window at the back of the house you can see Mill Pond (which is actually the bay, salt water and all), which at high-tide is only 20 feet away. At low tide there are two islands you can walk to. We recently discovered a fox on one island that we have named fondly, Red.


Travis's best friend Rich visited in August. Here is a pose that I encouraged. Behind them you can see one island (to the right), and the edge of another island to the left. In this picture Travis and Rich had just barely emerged from the water after hours of surf-board balancing competitions. Here we were getting ready to attend a Hillary & Bill Clinton speech. We hated seeing Rich go home to arid Arizona.

Among other New Castle island wonders, there is this delightful lobster shack. There is also a yacht club, a ritzy Marriott(www.wentworth.com/), the Coast Guard, a lighthouse, and many, many beautifully restored houses from the 1600s. It is a lovely coastal New England island. We lucked out!










Halloween! We are the activity committee co-chairs for our church (woo-hoo). We also teach the sunbeams and Travis is a den leader. Here, I am a witch with long eye-lashes (yes, pathetic), and Travis is a fisherman (even more pathetic). We will do better next year.







Lewis visited over Thanksgiving. Here Amy and I sit with him in the back of the little Corolla. Talk about bonding! Lewis taught my nephew, Jackson, how to dance (soulja boy style), recruited my family on a safari, and won the heart of Bristol, Vermont. Another visitor we did not want to go home!






Vermont foliage! Although I love New Hampshire, I will always be a Vermont girl. Autumn in Vermont has taken my breath away for 28 years. Beyond foliage, I love maple syrup, band concerts on the green, fire flies, small towns, and familiar faces.
Well, Travis told me that this was getting too long. So, we miss you all "wicked bad"! Hope you find yourself celebrating 2008 and all the wonders that await!
Love Mandy, Travis & Bay

8 comments:

Julia M. said...

Oh my gosh Mandy! This makes me so happy to read about your life! You are such a beautiful woman, and I hope that school is going well for you. It sounds like you are busy, but loving it! I yearn to visit you there! The picture with Lewis threw me off--I thought it was some deceptive eye trick with you on both sides! Amy looks just like you! How fun. I miss you! I've got a blog, too. It's juliamcmillan.blogspot.com. I'm excited to stay updated on your life! I love you!

Amy, Jackson, Carly, Bridger said...

I love this! Why did you call last night and not leave a message? Maybe I will come next Friday, I NEED to go to the Temple!!!!!

Amy, Jackson, Carly, Bridger said...

The kids and I are getting your hair done for your birthday. Our hair is to much alike.
Love ya

Katie said...

Mandy Can I tell you how excited I was to see that you have started a blog!! Ya! We were introduced into the blogging world a couple months ago and its sad to say but I may have a slight addiction! On another note I have been wondering about you and Travis and hoping that all is well.. Its sounds like its wonderful! It looks like you two are keeping busy and having a great time! We do miss you! (its kinda funny because just today BJ & I ran into Lewis! and then I saw his pic on your blog.. how fun for him to come visit!) Anyway love ya lots and were so happy to know that your having a great time!

Shantell said...

Don't worry I'm almost in tears because I miss you guys so much! I'm so glad you started a blog because I love blogs! I love having one and I love reading them. Thanks for keeping in touch and maybe one day we will be able to come and visit :)

Beau and Jen said...

Hi Mandy!!! Shan forward me your blog and it is soooo good to see your new life and i just wanted to say hi and i'll be checking your blog often! Oh how excited life is for your and Travis! (especially without... ya know what! :) well I hope the best for you and your new adventures!

Cass and Craig said...

Mandy! I'm so glad you and Travis are doing a blog. I started one a little while ago...Maybe Craig and I will start one together of all of our action packed adventures. Love the pictures of you guys, you and your sister look like twins in the pic with Lewis.

Amanda Brown said...

Hi Mandy! I found you! I was just putting the purple mug you gave us for our wedding back in my cupboard and I thought you. I wondered, hmmm, I should look for them on FB. That was unsuccessful but yeah for blogspot!!!! I hope you are doing great! Send me an email sometime!
Best Regards,
Amanda

amabro@gmail.com